Sunday 7 July 2013

Scattered Wolves

On the morning of the Edinburgh Marathon I got a text from Sarah, not just wishing me luck, but pointing out how much harder 'lone wolf' training is.
People who belong to clubs have programs, support, access to coaches.
People who don't belong to organisations just have access to internet advice, books and in my experience, generally just cobble this crap together and hope for the best. Clubs don't guarantee success, plenty of lone wolves do exceptionally well. However, as I would benefit from coaching and support, but don't have the time, money, and especially inclination to mix with other sporty people, it's not going to happen.
They have really expensive kit and they speak in numbers.
They know what they're doing, and the fact I'm rather rubbish becomes glaringly, blindingly obvious.

So I thought lone wolves should band together. Scattered lone wolves. People whose location, jobs, childcare issues or even the lack of urge to mix with sporty others means training is a solitary affair.
I told Cat and she said we should get T-shirts.
I'm pretty sure if we do they should have this kind of design.




We could get together and have wolfie conventions. Everyone have to wear the shirt.
I don't care how embarrassing they are.
I thought wristbands might be cool, too. We could wear them all the time.

It's 4 weeks today until Knockburn.
Now it's the only even in my calendar, the next 4 weeks are all about triathlon training, getting my swim quicker. My bike quicker. My run a damn sight quicker.
I did manage a slightly faster bike the day before yesterday. 15 miles in an hour, and it was hot and hilly but without my work back pack, a lot more fun than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment