Monday 22 April 2013

Bootcamp - Day 1

Batman undies on today.

And to make it better, I luckily had a day off work.

I started off doing press ups and planking and such, then a slow 3 mile run ( I wish the wind would stop), then off to the pool.

My swimming looks and feels slow, or 'languid' as one observer has commented, so I really need to get my stroke rate up. My arms move much faster when using the pull buoy, so I took that with me. It was heaving in there, really busy, but I did swim up and down for half and hour, feeling very fast, but totally losing count of lengths
.
I need to approach this the same way as running.
Do intervals. Shorter, faster bursts to get the speed up in general. The cut off for the Aberfeldy swim is probably 1 hour 15 min, and I know I can do 1.2 miles in that, as I have done before (just) so continually swimming up and down locked in my 'languid' pace isn't helping me. So along with the pull buoy, I also did a few 'swimming as fast as I can' sets of 50m. I found when swimming faster there was a bit more splashing near my head, in general everything felt a bit different.
I regretted doing all the weights and push ups first thing as my arms were on fire when swimming, but I think that's part of the problem. I'm just not strong enough.I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

I would have stayed in the pool longer but took my nose clip off whilst catching my breath at the end, and snapped it putting it back on, so had a go swimming without it, and nearly drowned. I was blowing air out my nose underwater as hard as I could, but it was awful. I had to do a rubbish breast stroke in the end.
I will need to duck tape my nose shut for the Ironman.

I am on course to have 9 portions of fruit and veg, and 75g of protein. Get in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment