Sunday 24 March 2013

Garioch Half Marathon

My Garmin page for it - Time 2:18:20


It all went quite well, really. First off, the other Lucy came and got me, which takes a lot of the worry away as she is super reliable and punctual, and I didn't have to think about not being able to park, if worst came to worst, she could have just dropped me off outside.

This is Lucy and our daughters (and their hats) in the sports centre beforehand. Mine is on the far left, it's all about the emo/wearing black thing with her at the moment. They were all very good to put up with 2+ hours of hanging about.




So, so cold.
Standing around at the beginning, I wondered if I was wearing enough. Lots of people were wearing jackets and buffs, but after two miles I was warm, on the first uphill I was boiling, but then on higher ground with stronger winds, I got very cold. I presume this lady in her little shorts on the right did, too.




I was surprised at the lack of water stations. I had taken my own, but the first wasn't for 7 miles, and then it was just little cups. The second was around 10 miles, and again, little cups. Very crap.

As it was, the chip timing was broken, so I know my Garmin time is right as I started it when I went over the start line, not when the race started. This pic shows the start line, I was down by the blue garage door, so took me a little while to get up to the line as people were walking up, so the time they post in the results is wrong as far as I'm concerned.



The medal is nice, and there was also a T-shirt, and a banana and bottle of water (not pictured, I ate the banana when I got home)




I'm quite happy with my time. I had wanted 2:17 as that was a good 30 secs off each mile, as my best time in training recently had been 2:23, but still, not too far off for quite a hilly, freezing course.

6 comments:

  1. Well done! Your first step towards iron awesomeness. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! Nice to hear you'll be posting race reports again soon! :D

      Delete
  2. Fabulous! Must have been really tough up there as it's freezing down here in illegal immigrant land! Good splits too considering the climbing! Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taff, couldn't have posted the splits on the Garmin without you! (literally!) :D

      Delete
  3. Great run, Lucy! I'm glad that your daughter got to be part of that. It's so convenient that the other Lucy has a daughter about the same age as your daughter. Your daughter is super cute. Emo is adorbs at that age.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marion, it is nice to have supporters there! :)

      Delete